Internet address allocation policy

Jerry Marsh JerryM at DIS.WA.GOV
Mon Mar 20 17:46:00 UTC 1995

I too am having increasing difficulty getting address from Internic without
tons of justification.

One small point I would like to make:  There is an implicit assumption here
that the addresses requested are for immediate use on the Internet.  Many
State agencies here are moving to TCP/IP based networks.  This is as much
for interconnectivity among ourselves as anything else.  They may initially
not even connect to other State agencies, let alone the Internet.  That does
not reduce their need to have coordinated addresses.  The last thing they
need to do is deploy a network with bogus addresses and then have to change
the addresses when they interconnect with others/Internet.

They could request small blocks of "C" themselves, but it makes more sense
to me to use sub-block of CIDRs that I manage when they have intent of
eventually attaching to the Internet thru us.

Jerry Marsh       | State of Washington  -  DIS/TSD  -  MS 2450
jerrym at dis.wa.gov | Olympia, Wa 98504-2450  voice: 360-902-3311