Internic address allocation policy

ATM_Feel_the_Power joe at net99.net
Sun Mar 19 17:13:48 UTC 1995

The request for a business plan was unreal.  One of our customers was
ready to demand the business plan for the last large provider who
requested numbers.  Has NET-99 been frustrated with the process ? Yes.
Have we screwed up our SWIP's at times ? Yes.  Has the Nic lost requests
we sent in for domain names etc ? Yes. Is the Nic busy ? We all know that
answer.  More routes, more numbers more eveything is going to cost us in
the end.  When it comes to these numbers its time more of us had a say in
controlling our own future.

I support an increase in funding for the Nic.  I have told them this many
times.  I also support the recall of unused or under-used numbers.  By
default I feel we the provider are in the position of telling our future
customers why we are going to limit the amount of ip numbers we issue.
Yes, I know SWIP them and they get more. Try telling that to a company
who has just signed up and paid big dollars to do a nationwide 56k frame
deal. Try listening to a customer saying he or she can get more numbers
from another provider.

Bottom line: Lets try to fix this in a common sense fashion and a
reasonable time.  It is possible.

Joseph Stroup