US Domain -- County Delegations

Curtis Villamizar curtis at ans.net
Sat Jul 29 02:12:12 UTC 1995

In message <9507281742.AA12717 at gw.home.vix.com>, Jerry Scharf writes:
> >  Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 00:51:03 -0400
> >  From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis at ans.net>
> >
> >  Is ibm.nyse.com, dec.nyse, mci.nasdaq.com a problem?  This takes the
> >  arbitrary decision out of accepting or denying someone access to the
> >  .com hierarchy and enforces and already strict naming.
> >
> There are two problems I see with this. There are many companies who are
> privately held, including billion dollar ones. Also, there are companies
> who have certificates traded on more than one trading place (I know of
> Japan/US situations.)

Privately held companies will have to go in the geographic heirarchy.
I don't think this is a major hardship.

It's OK to have two domain names if trading on more than one exchange.

> The more fundamental question is where do you put all the companies that
> you are now forcing out of .com?

Put them in the geographic heirarchy.

> Jerry

Of course the $25k a year to stay in .com might also be an option for
the truly huge and certainly fund some hefty root name servers.

Curtis