user interfaces

Hans-Werner Braun hwb at upeksa.sdsc.edu
Fri Jul 28 17:25:33 UTC 1995

specific example, I want to be able to say to my computer "turn off my
coffee machine" because I remember it is still on. The computer should leave
me alone with all them mapping details, after all, that's what I pay it for.
So, it knows who I am, so it can figure out what "my" relates to. It can
figure out what coffee machines and their attributes are, and what "off"
means. The right response to me would not be "give me a host name" or even
(gasp!) "give me an IP address," but "do you mean the coffee machine at home
or in your office?"