Internic procedure problems

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Wed Jul 19 23:52:14 UTC 1995

I've been thinking about this incident with the wrong address in the .net
domain for ns2.bc.net and I have come to the conclusion that the Internic
needs to review some of their procedures.

First of all, I wonder why they don't run a sanity check on the top level
zone files from time to time to make sure that the correct domain names
and IP addresses are recorded. If this were done and a sanity check was
also done at the time of any changes to the zone files, then this kind of
problem would not occur. THis is not the first time I have encountered
such a problem. A few weeks ago I helped a small college in California
sort out a problem with their email which was the result of the incorrect
nameserver being recorded in the .ca.us domain.

Another thing that would be nice to see is some method for updating domain
information similar to the way routing policy is updated. If I wish to
change secondary nameservers, I should be able to directly update records
for my domain rather than submit an email request and wait 3-4 weeks for
an overworked human being to get around to it. This is especially
irritating for us because when we switched providers and therefore needed
to switch secondary nameservice, it only took a few days to get the
in-addr domains changed but our .net domain is dragging on forever.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael at memra.com