US Domain -- County Delegations

Paul A Vixie paul at vix.com
Mon Jul 31 20:26:04 UTC 1995

> If a change is made, I feel it needs to be applied globally to all, not
> just the small businesses.

that's my feeling as well.

on the other hand there are big companies out there who believe that their
trademarks and service marks are bound tightly to their domain names.  for
them we should offer a chance to stay in .COM but for a _very_ high price --
the $25K/year figure quoted here recently wasn't unreasonable.  to IBM.COM
or DIGITAL.COM this is peanuts, and it will keep their lawyers happy, and
it will keep IANA or Internic from being sued for restraint of trade.