root name servers

Paul A Vixie paul at vix.com
Sun Jul 30 18:35:17 UTC 1995

[vixie]
> I would.  Elise and her team are experts at what they do, but running a root
> name server is not quite the same thing.

[delong]
> That is quite true.  However, I have set up a couple of "un-official" root
> name servers for clients of mine who had HEAVY lookup traffic.  It has worked
> quite well, and didn't seem substantially different from running an ISP
> nameserver that was secondary for a whole bunch of customer domains.

true -- it wouldn't have been.  running a server that's in the root delegation
is a bit different.  i'm not saying that it takes some kind of arcane secret
handshake -- but it does rather seem to me that elise's team has their hands
full.  if i hear otherwise from elise herself, then i will suggest to the IANA
that RSs at XPs be given priority for new root servers.