Test Route

bmanning at ISI.EDU bmanning at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 31 22:57:54 UTC 1995

> > From: bmanning at ISI.EDU
> >
> > Hi,
> > 	Much as I like to debate RFC 1597 and Firewalls... That is not
> > 	the topic of this thread.
> >
> > 	I was pointing out a useful (to me) hack to verify BGP peering
> > 	and route generation w/o the need to "expose" routes that
> > 	I might not be authoritative for.
> >
> > 	I would like to know if others think this was/is worthwhile?
>
> If you don't propagate the route, why does it matter?
>
> 							---Rob

Ah, but I do. Its a TestRoute that carries no other information.
This effectivly re-casts this prefix/mask into a tool for testing
reachability.  Just becasue I have a BGP peer up does not equate to
route exchange.  Once I send the TestRoute and you ack that it is received,
then I have a higher assurance that our exchange works.

--
--bill