Test Route

bmanning at ISI.EDU bmanning at ISI.EDU
Mon Jan 30 21:22:25 UTC 1995

Hi,
	I have recently come across the need to test BGP peering with
	a number of people and have found that it is occasionally useful
	to establish a peer and then send a test route.

	There were a number of options here:

		1- Use a route that I should correctly source.
		2- Send the loopback address
		3- Use an RFC 1597 address
		4- Use the TestNetwork address

	Due to certain vendors/ISPs desire to (correctly) squash RFC 1597
	advertisments and my inability to verify routing correctness if
	I propogated via third-party my internal routes, I chose to use
	the TestNetwork.

	What is the TestNetwork?

	zed 30% whois 192.0.2.0
	[No name] (NET-TEST)

	   Netname: AMEX
           Netnumber: 192.0.2.0

	 Coordinator:
       	 	Reynolds, Joyce K.  (JKR1)  JKRey at ISI.EDU
	     	(310) 822-1511

	Record last updated on 24-Oct-94.

	This was a number allocated prior to RFC 1597 to assist people in
	correctly documenting how to configure IP in their documentation.
	(a fix for the infamous defaults SUN had in the config scripts for
	 so many years)
	It's usefullness in testing devolves from its not being included
	in the RFC 1597 ban on forwarding.

	It seems to me that we should encourage any/all NSP/ISP types to
	block the following networks:

		127.0.0/8
		10.0.0/8
		172.16.0/20