Agenda suggestions?

Sean Doran smd at sprint.net
Wed Jan 25 10:57:53 UTC 1995

There are a couple of other things that might bear
discussion based on some recent public revelations
of not-so-new information.

 -- Security problems operators can fix
	[or, how to let your customers be used to break into
	interesting places]
	(route announcement filtering vs. routing attacks
	outbound packet	filters on CPE routers vs. spoofing
	attacks like the ones CERT announced recently)
    This could go fairly quickly.

 -- Routing flaps considered harmful
	[or, how to kill half the Internet with one rapidly-
	oscillating circuit]
	(many routers are having problems CPU-wise processing
	the number of route-flaps seen these days.  BGP to
	single-homed internets exacerbates this; so does
	any type of unnecessary dynamic routing.  On Ciscos,
	leaving seriously-flapping links up and running when
	they can affect worldwide NLRI is bad news.
	Aggregation helps.)

| 2) technical presentation on what is a route server

	Is this going to be from an RA/RS perspective?  If
	so, some talk about converting extremely complicated
	policy now embedded in border Ciscos to something
	that can be put into the RA/RSes would be neato.
	(Also what that policy ought to be in very broad
	terms ("NAP/MAE technical etiquette") might be
	useful as a short side-line talk.)

	[or, Peter Lothberg politely questions the current
	implementation's utility]

| 5) end-to-end problem resolution - is it possible?

	Can we make this last?  I suspect that this
	could get quite angry if we're not careful... :(

	[or, "it's been three hours since we sent email
	and we haven't gotten a response from you.  this is
	a recording." vs. "it's your fault, fix it." vs. ""

	or, some really good ideas that organizations of all
	sorts have for customer support in the face of
	problems that can't be fixed or even diagnosed
	locally

	or, Miss Manners's guide to excruciatingly correct
	inter-carrier relations (aka, the "NOC etiquette
	handbook")

	or, "No sales talks, please, we're operators". :)]

| 7) ATM testbed results

	Can we put this immediately before lunch?
	Trust me. :-)

	[or, "Curtis says, "ATM is *amazing*" followed
	by murmurs of agreement.  Politics at eleven."]

I might think of a few other things if we have too few agenda.

	Sean.