Transition question (ENSS status)

Sean Doran smd at sprint.net
Sun Feb 26 15:56:19 UTC 1995

In message <43571759 at um.cc.umich.edu>, Eric.M.Aupperle at um.cc.umich.edu writes:

| Sean,
|   Several regionals have given their notice to NSF and Merit. To date
| it's only been possible for Merit to give ANS notice to terminate
| one ENSS. That was for ENSS 138 in Atlanta. Merit will soon, before
| the end of February, give notice to ANS to terminate all other ENSSs
| to meet the end of April deadline. Merit's termination notice will
| include ENSSs at the FIXs. Eric

Wow, *poof* bye bye NSFNET backbone service.

I was wondering, in the interests of federal-agency <--> IRC
(MCI), international (PIPEX) and domestic (Alternet, PSI et
al.) commercial connectivity, if ANS might somehow be able
to negotiate among the federal networks for keeping ENSS145
at FIX-EAST as a level-three backup between FIX-EAST and
MAE-EAST+ just in case the level-2 bridging scheme doesn't
work very well in practice.

ANS is better suited to that than ICM is right now,
and I think it would be pragmatic not to have to
deal with the issue of east-coast FIX<-->MAE connectivity
on an emergency basis.

This is probably an FNC thing that NSF/MERIT combination is
likely to be best suited to run with, I imagine.

	Sean.
- --
Sean Doran <smd at icp.net> / <smd at sprint.net>