Not to beat a dead horse

William Allen Simpson bsimpson at morningstar.com
Tue Dec 19 15:24:25 UTC 1995

> From: Avi Freedman <freedman at netaxs.com>
> But I still see 4 /24s advertised in 208/8:
>
> Now, besides the fact that 208.0.4.0 & 208.0.5.0 could be 208.0.4.0/23
> (grin), what IS the appropriate way to deal with an ongoing situation
> where un-NIC-allocated IP space is advertised on the Internet?

My solution would be to filter the routes based on AS.

Someday, those routes will be announced from a valid provider, and you
will need to know the valid AS from which they should be announced to
ignore the bogons.

> We have no plans to implement incoming route filters on 208/8 - who
> knows when the NIC will start allocating out of it.

The RA knows?

Maybe this is a valid use of the RADB?

Cannot the NIC update the RA with both prefix and AS?

Bill.Simpson at um.cc.umich.edu