Routing registry was Re: Sprint BGP filters in 207.x.x.x? (fwd)

Elise Gerich epg at merit.edu
Thu Dec 14 22:39:15 UTC 1995

 Peter,

 >Peter Lothberg writes:
 >
 > [stuff deleted]
 >
 > The RA is broken, just relabeling work of Ripe and mess it upp is
 > not very usefull for the Global Internet.  Ripe-81 (that most of this
 > is based on) was supposed to be a start of a toolkit for ISP's, not a
 > tol for someone who think they are the network Police.
 >
 > -Peter

 We've had this discussion many times, and will probably never agree.

 The RA adopted the RIPE database work since it seemed reasonable to
 express global information in a standard fashion. Credit is given to
 RIPE and the PRIDE project whenever there is talk of the IRR, RIPE
 NCC Database, the RADB, etc.

 The RA team has announced many tools based on the database and the routes
 known to the route servers:

 1) IRRWeb - graphical interface to query the IRR and to update the RADB

 2) Route History Server - provides a mechanism for tracking the announce/
    withdraw history of a given prefix for the last 24 hours

 3) Route Flap Statistics Generator - provides mechanism for calculating the
    level of routing instability at all of the four NAPs

 4) Route Server Routing Table Statistics Generator - reports on the size an
    content of the Internet routing tables as seen by the Route Servers at
    each Network Access Point

 5) Peval - policy evaluator that inputs RIPE-181 policy expression, performs
    certain calculations, and outputs expressions that can be used by other
    tools, like RTConfig

 6) RTConfig - front-end tool that uses Peval and RADBserver to generate router
    configurations

 7) RADBserver - extension of the RIPE whoisd server which provides a protocol
    for getting information from RIPE-style database files

 8) RSd - an enhanced version of GateD routing software that provides multiple
    views of routing information

 9) rrc2r/rrmerge - a package to convert Cisco router configuration files to
    RIPE-181 objects that can be submitted to a RIPE-style database

 10) CiscoBGP - analyzes routing information from production Ciscos and compares
     the data with routes in the IRR

 11) BGPCheck - compares information from BGP4 peering sessions with the route serves
     with data in the IRR

 12) PRtraceroute - developed by the PRIDE project, the RA team provides a version
     that queries the RADB

 In addition if you look at the RA web pages, you will find descriptions of other
 tools which are under development. The RA is committed to working with the
 community to develop tools that are seen as beneficial.

        --Elise  (does NOT rhyme with police)