Sprint BGP filters in 207.x.x.x?

Daniel Karrenberg Daniel.Karrenberg at ripe.net
Thu Dec 14 09:46:56 UTC 1995

  > Jeremy Porter <jerry at fc.net> writes:
  > I don't really understand how a RR can help with proxy aggregation
  > seeing as the route objects really only provide origin AS
  > and regular aggregation.

It can help in several ways:

1) If you proxy aggregate you put in a route object for the aggregate.
This infiormation can be used to track down the cause of problems
caused by proxy aggregation.

2) The route object can also contain information about "holes" in an
aggregate, which can be quite useful when evaluating aggregation
strategies.

3) The routing registry also contains 'aut-num' objects describing the
routing policy of each AS: who they peer with, which routes they announce
and accept. Given this information the consequences of proxy aggragation
can be evaluated/simulated before putting a proxy aggregation in place.

Daniel