CIDR FAQ

Simon Poole poole at eunet.ch
Thu Aug 17 06:14:41 UTC 1995

I write:

> Which somewhat explains why this group reminds me of a bunch of decapitated
> hens.
>
> Would it be correct to interpret your last sentence as:
>
> 	  We don't what the underlying cause of the growth in prefixes
>           is (new allocations, old allocations, ISP's not aggregating).
>
> With other words, we don't even know if the I-D in question is fixing the
> right problem.
[the CC list is getting very long, I've tried to trim it a bit]

Just to provide some hard (haha) data I wipped up a perl script and
dumped a full routing table from one of our routers. Daniel Karrenberg
has produced similar numbers before if I remember correctly. In any
case this allows a large amount of finger pointing (located in Europe
I particulary happy with the performance of 193/24), in particular
visual inspection of 199/24 would seem to indicate a -lot- of aggregation
potential.

Format  /24 prefix    #of prefixes   %of total address space announced

All usual disclaimers apply (I've not done more than a couple of
sanity checks on the data).

  9     2  00
 39    25  00
128   175  68