CIDR FAQ

David J. Schmidt davids at on-ramp.ior.com
Thu Aug 17 00:33:00 UTC 1995

   Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 21:14:19 +0200
   From: Ruediger Volk <rv at zeus.NIC.DTAG.DE>

   Owen,

     > > Conclusion:
     > >
     > >    In the area of routing aggregation IPv6 will do for us *exactly the same*
     > >    as what IPv4 does.
     > >
     > With one notable exception.... No allocation legacies.  That is there aren't
     > any old badly-distributed ipv6 addresses floating around.

   doesn't the transition strategy foresee to embedded the old cluttered IPv4
   space into the new supposedly clean IPv6 megaspace...
   Thus I suspect the allocation legacy will be inherited.
   While I agree with Yakov that we need to worry about the new allocations,
   I think that the legacy is large enough that some garbage collection
   would be well advised - and could be important for survival under current
   and future growth.

     Ruediger

I thought that the IPv6 address space had fields for a provider number
outside of the "legacy" IPv4 address space.  Thus "legacy" IPv4
networks can be moved by changing the provider bits in the larger IPv6
address.

The routers involved will need to be IPv6 capable, but the individual
hosts on a lan continue to use their old IPv4 addresses and do *not*
need to be renumbered.  The IPv4 networks are now "mobile" and can
move from provider to provider providing the routers involved all talk
IPv6.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.  I got this from reading a 3 page
overview of IPv6 which I can't find at this momemt.

--
David.Schmidt at on-ramp.ior.com  Internet On-Ramp, Inc.    (509)624-RAMP (7267)
Spokane, Washington            http://www.ior.com/	 (509)622-2866 (fax)