CIDR FAQ

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Wed Aug 16 14:55:32 UTC 1995

On Wed, 16 Aug 1995, Paul A Vixie wrote:

> >    BTW - I have not studied the RFC's - so what will IPv6 do for us in
> >    the contect of routeing aggregation and latger boxes etc ?
> >
> > Absolutely Nothing.  You end up back at hierarchical routing.  IPv6
> > gets you a bigger address space, so it actually hurts in that it takes
> > more memory to store a prefix.
> >
> > Tony
>
> the plan is that IPv6 addresses will be allocated hierarchically from day 1,
> and with proxy aggregation it should be possible for sean's stated goal of
> "4 routes in the table on some defaultless networks" to be reached.
>
> the routing table is no longer doubling every nine months.  we've been sort
> of hanging out in the 25,000 - 30,000 range for almost six months now.
>
> the largest single component of the table size comes from old allocations of
> class c nets, which are 2/3 the total.

Why can' the NIC reallocat the old class c's and use CIDR?

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Your Gateway to the World!
Phone   (703)524-4800			       NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite B-5
Email   sales at netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest