CIDR FAQ

Per Gregers Bilse bilse at EU.net
Wed Aug 16 12:45:09 UTC 1995

On Aug 16, 14:34, alex at kiae.su <alex at kiae.su> wrote:
> Subject: Re: CIDR FAQ
> >   So what would the normal implementation of such a design be?  ebgp-multihop
> >   all of your peers into the PC, and then a single peering session the Cisco,
> >   presuming no "next-hop-self" routes?
> >
> >   I can see some amount of value in such a design, if it could be made to work
> >   correctly.  Does anybody have the spare equipment to build a lab?  (pfeh, yeah,
> >   right)
> It's just as 'routing policy server' works. There is such projects
> and it seems there is some good things in this idea.
>
> But did anybody see real realisation of this?

This is effectively the way we do ISDN PRI backup -- the BGP host
isn't (necessarily) in the same router that is actually switching
the traffic.  So it does work, yes.  (This is all with Ciscos, BTW.)

Yes, PCs and other workstations can route traffic too.  We know that.

But as has been noted, this has little or nothing to with with the
I-D, and probably nothing to do with the CIDR FAQ either.  It
would be very beneficial if everybody tried to stay on track.

--
====== ___                        === Per G. Bilse, Mgr Network Operations Ctr
===== /     /  /   __   ___  _/_ ==== EUnet Communications Services B.V.