CIDR FAQ

John G. Scudder jgs at aads.net
Tue Aug 15 19:12:30 UTC 1995

At 11:00 AM 8/15/95, Dave Siegel wrote:
>Let's excuse the fact that gated consumes more memory than a cisco for the
>same amount of routes for a second...
>
>Okay, so let's talk functionality.
>
>Are there HSSI PCI cards available?  Can you do SMDS over this card?  Frame?
>What about a DS3 ATM card, or higher?

And Paul Traina wrote something vaguely similar.

I think you guys are both missing what I think was Jon's original point:
Routers forward packets faster than PCs, but the forwarding function and
the routing protocol function do not have to reside on the same box.  You
can add a PC (workstation, whatever) which runs the routing protocol and
stuffs routes into the router.  It doesn't have to support the link-layer
du jour.  Ethernet will do the job just fine.

As I recall the original discussion was of colocating a router, to forward
packets, with a workstation, to compute routes.

--John