CIDR FAQ

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Tue Aug 15 17:30:57 UTC 1995

On Tue, 15 Aug 1995, Paul Traina wrote:

>   From: jon at branch.com (Jon Zeeff)
>   Subject: Re: CIDR FAQ
>
>   > BTW Any BSD4.4 based *NIX (NetBSD, FreeBSD, etc) *does* do CIDR.
>
>   Another reason why some people are thinking that workstations and generic
>   micros sometimes look pretty good as replacements for "real" routers.
>
>   You get software that works, full source code, faster CPUs, and fewer
>   memory limitations.  At a cost low enough to get a "free" spare.
>
> Look, I really hate to sound like I have sour grapes,  but this thread
> keeps coming up and I all hear about the PC router issue is a lot of
> talk about price and CPUs,  but I don't actually hear any operational
> experience about them.

Well we are going to use a PC router if all works out for our MAE-East
connection. But we do have a cisco 4500-M if it des not work out.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Your Gateway to the World!
Phone   (703)524-4800			       NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite B-5
Email   sales at netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest