CIDR FAQ

Paul Traina pst at shockwave.com
Tue Aug 15 16:39:13 UTC 1995

  From: jon at branch.com (Jon Zeeff)
  Subject: Re: CIDR FAQ

  > BTW Any BSD4.4 based *NIX (NetBSD, FreeBSD, etc) *does* do CIDR.

  Another reason why some people are thinking that workstations and generic
  micros sometimes look pretty good as replacements for "real" routers.

  You get software that works, full source code, faster CPUs, and fewer
  memory limitations.  At a cost low enough to get a "free" spare.

Look, I really hate to sound like I have sour grapes,  but this thread
keeps coming up and I all hear about the PC router issue is a lot of
talk about price and CPUs,  but I don't actually hear any operational
experience about them.

PCs have been around for years, and even 4.4+reno/gated boxes have been
around as long as cisco/bgp4 boxes.  If they really are such a great value,
why the hell aren't "those evil router vendors" out of business in the
Internet market yet?

Call me thin skinned,  but this is really starting to get old.
I would like to personally see the folks who keep extoling the virtues of
roll-your-own solutions either put up or shut up.

Can we kindly return this thread to: "What boxes don't do classless routing?"