$320 for a .com domain registration?

Simon Poole poole at eunet.ch
Sat Aug 12 08:10:37 UTC 1995

> Jim Dixon writes:
> On Sat, 12 Aug 1995, Michael Dillon wrote:
>
> > I just finished browsing http://www.britain.eu.net/naming-co/couk-form.html
> > which is the registration form for the .co.uk domain. They charge 300
>            "a"
> > pounds for each domain registered, approximately $320 is US funds.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> You misunderstand.  If you look more carefully, this Web page has
> been put up there by EUnet GB's sales department.  Yes, they charge
> you two hundred pounds to register a domain name and provide name
> service for a year.  Several other UK providers charge similar fees.
> But many US providers also have a standard fee for registering a
> domain name on your behalf and providing name service.
>
> EUnet GB is a private company, one of several British Internet
> providers, not an organization like the Internic.

The misunderstanding is that EUnet GB has two roles in this context,
on the one hand they actually -do- run the co.uk registry, on the other
hand they provide the service to their customers. I think browsing
through http://www.britain.eu.net/naming-co/ would make things clearer.
In particular the link to the form clearly states what the purpose.

--
EUnet AG					Simon Poole
Zweierstrasse 35	Tel: +41 1 291 45 80	poole at eunet.ch
CH-8004 Zuerich		Fax: +41 1 291 46 42	S=poole;P=EUnet;A=EUnet;C=CH