routing meltdown

Yakov Rekhter yakov at cisco.com
Fri Aug 11 15:48:06 UTC 1995

Jon,

> I absolutely agree that the time has come to remove complex routing
> protocols from routers and use workstations.

Two points:

1. I am not sure whether BGP could be classified as a "complex routing
   protocol".

2. The proposed scheme does not remove BGP from the routers. In fact, BGP is
   used to communicate forwarding information between the routers and the route
   servers.

So, if we're to assume that BGP is "a complex routing protocol", then using
router servers does not allow "to remove complex routing protocols from
routers". And if we're to assume that BGP is not a complex routing protocol,
then we don't have a problem of removing "complex routing protocols from
routers".

So, it seems that using route servers would have no impact wrt to removing
"complex routing protocols from routers".

Yakov.