US Domain -- County Delegations

George Herbert gherbert at crl.com
Wed Aug 2 00:34:25 UTC 1995

>The point is that people will continue to use their SunOS 3.5,
>Xenix286, and BellTechnologies Unix, IDRIS, or whatever archane old
>Unix flavor they have and if it has a resolver at all it won't know
>the first thing about hashing anything.  Those folks that can't
>recompile their applications can type cisco.ci.com, and do their part
>to add a level of hierarchy, but they aren't going to be happy
>computing a hash function and typing that in as a DNS name.

I believe that Paul's suggestion was that this level of hashing
or the additional heirarchy be hidden within the root name servers.
I.e., a request to ns.internic.net for cisco.com would get translated
within their named to cisco.ci.com and sent off to ns-ci-com.whoever,
who would then pass the info back as "cisco.com" to avoid confusing
anyone.

Such a change is easy (*cough*) to impliment in a limited fashion
on a few root servers, as long as what gets back to the end users
is still "cisco.com", which this idea would do.  It just puts a
transparent additional level of heirarchy in, hidden behind the
root servers.

-george

george william herbert   gherbert at crl.com
  KD6WUQ    Unix / Internet Consultant