Has PSI been assigned network 1?

Steven J. Richardson sjr at merit.edu
Mon Apr 24 23:45:28 UTC 1995

  >From list-admin at merit.edu Sun Apr 23 18:33:02 1995
  >From: Sean Doran <smd at icp.net>
  >To: michael at okjunc.junction.net, salo at msc.edu
  >Subject: Re: Has PSI been assigned network 1?
  >Cc: G.Huston at aarnet.edu.au, nanog at merit.edu
  >Date: 	Sun, 23 Apr 1995 14:57:11 -0400
  >
  >Hi -
  >
  >   All our junior people are immediately deployed to
  >projects.  One such person was brought into our engineering
  >group and practically immediately was given responsibility
  >for making all of NYSERNET work and handling whatever
  >escalations he could.   Another is deployed in dialup and
  >in assisting with routing matters.  Another is busy dealing
  >with research and resource planning for how we want to scale.
  >
  >   I can think of innumerable engineering and operations
  >tasks that need doing before deploying a junior engineering
  >type to writing documentation.

  Ah!  Since Sprint isn't interested in doing training, I'll stop
answering questions from any Sprint staff.  (I've wasted a lot of
time talking to a succession of persons in position 'x', none of
whom ever passed on information to anyone else or documented what
their job entailed, I guess.)

  >   So, to extend the point that Geoff made earlier -- any
  >resource a busy operator has will get deployed into making
  >that operator's part of the global Internet _work_, not into
  >helping out other people.

  Thanks--this explains why the Sprint NOC was so surly and
unhelpful when I called.

  > This is not due to a mean lack of
  >altruism, but rather to the realities of life in a global
  >network that doubles in size and traffic severy six-to-nine
  >months or so.

  How about an abrogation of responsibility?

  >	Sean.

  Steve R.