Has PSI been assigned network 1?

elliot at ghost.uunet.ca elliot at ghost.uunet.ca
Sun Apr 23 06:25:26 UTC 1995

On Sat, 22 Apr 1995, Michael Dillon wrote:
>Right now it is possible for each new operations person at a new ISP to
>hunt through all the RFC's for relevant documents, look through the IETF
>mailing lists for relevant lists and then hunt through those lists for
>relevant messages, etc.... However, it would be far more efficient to
>have one technically skilled researcher do this and distill the important
>info for the rest of us.

Ah, so you want someone else to do your homework for you?

I believe that the general feeling in the Internet community that it's
essential not only to have such information, but also to be able to
understand the sources from which the information is derived;  following
the IETF mailing lists and understanding relevant RFCs is part of what
makes a "good" operator.

The Internet is constantly changing, and in order to keep up, an operator
*must* understand new RFCs and mailing list discussion *as they occur*.

There's no time to wait for some to write a book simplifying things for you...

elliot