Has PSI been assigned network 1?

Vadim Antonov avg at sprint.net
Fri Apr 21 22:23:59 UTC 1995

>> A half of them has to be explained how route announcement
>> is different from broadcasting.  Forget about good
>> citizenship -- they may be willing but they must be
>> educated first.
>>       [...]

>Educated by whom?

>It seems to me that this education is one of the services that small
>ISPs ought to expect of their national service providers.

Huh?  Where did you see "education" in terms of service contracts?

If a person goes in the business it is assumed that (s)he knows
the profession.  It is certainly not the case for many US-based Internet
service providers.

The problem is that even a tiniest service provider doing BGP with
some bigger provider can kill most of the Internet by injecting
a single bogus route.  (I expect to hear more "RS will fix everything"
speech at this point.  Relax.  It is not here yet; and we had occasions
when bogus routes were killing ANS connectivity per-network filtering
notwithstanding.  There are bugs and interesting incompatibilities :).

Such service provider doing multi-homed trick is simply a walking
disaster.  That's why we're making sure all parties involved understand
the routing policy, safe networking practices, etc before we enable
BGP.

>Conversely, it seems that the rest of the community ought to expect
>that national service providers will be responsible for educating
>their customers, (e.g., ISPs).

Sounds kind of over-expectant.  Considering that even large service
providers have real bad problems with finding engineers who know
what they are doing.

The best we can do is to limit the damage by doing fascistic filtering,
and work with those ISPs who want to listen and really want to learn.
Others will be out of business earlier or later anyway.

--vadim