Has PSI been assigned network 1?

bmanning at ISI.EDU bmanning at ISI.EDU
Thu Apr 20 12:08:41 UTC 1995

> (And it is slow.  I would like to be able to establish a connection
> and do a thousand of queries.  Some my nasty scripts call whois
> several thousand times.)
>
> It also lacks query functions (what are all networks i'm supposed
> to hear from peer X?,  which networks Lollypop Inc. owns?)
>
> For example, one menu of Sprint's internal database:
>
> 	Please enter customer ID [type Return if not known]:
>
> 	You may try to find the customer by:
>
> 	1)  Organization name
> 	2)  City name
> 	3)  Name of a person
> 	4)  Telephone/fax number
> 	5)  E-mail address
> 	6)  IP network address
> 	7)  Dial-in phone number
>
> 	Your choice?

The RPS folks are chartered to work on these types of tools as well
as some "what-if" extentions, so that you can check what will happen
if you change your policy, before committing the update.

> PGP is fine; what about security for on-line interfaces; and who
> guarantees security of RS machines?

The RS security is, by nessesity, host based.  There are filtering
MAC bridges in place, single use passwords, and we are working on
end2end encryption.  I expect that the encryption will be inplace
within the quarter.

> A multimillion corporation cannot put its business at risk of
> being dependent on a machine controlled by somebody else, w/o
> contractual obligations on adequate security.
>
> [I understand that i want too much, but then...]

Not any more than other multimillion dollar entities... :)

--bill