Has PSI been assigned network 1?

Curtis Villamizar curtis at ans.net
Mon Apr 17 20:17:08 UTC 1995

In message <199504171748.NAA23126 at titan.sprintlink.net>, Vadim Antonov writes:
> PSI allows people to negotiate PPP addresses, and then propagates
> everything everywhere w/o even token filtering.  I.e. any idiot can
> subscribe to PSI service and kill the Internet.
>
> --vadim

The Internet is bigger larger than the set of providers that believe
everything that any of their routing peers tells them.  That is one of
the reasons a routing registry is needed and why the IETF Policy
Routing System WG is being formed.

PSI can announce anything they please and screw up their own routing,
we won't believe them except for a limited set of routes that they are
registered as owning or providing transit for.

Sprint should consider adopting a similar system for generating
configurations, especially since the configuration generation code is
freely available.  That way any idiot can't kill Sprintlink.

Curtis

ps- This problem is probably not isolated to PSI.  I'm sure there are
smaller providers that make PSI look well managed (I don't know of any
offhand, but with over 300 "providers" in the world, they are bound to
exist).