wiretapping continues....

Curtis Villamizar curtis at ans.net
Mon Oct 31 16:32:20 UTC 1994

In message <9410311159.AA29666 at ameris.center.il.ameritech.com>, George H. Clapp
 writes:
> >Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 14:43:37 -0400
> >From: Vadim Antonov <avg at sprint.net>
> >Subject: Re:  wiretapping continues....
> >
> >We will hit limitations of the present/then-future routing technology
> >long before we'll exhaust the possibilities to increase the
> >NAP aggregate and access bandwidth by cheap incremental upgrades.
> >That's the whole point of Sprint NAP architecture. ATM/SMDS/Flame Delay
> >do not get even close to what we achieve (and ATM is not useful yet).
>
> Doesn't Sprint plan on offering an ATM service, and doesn't MFS
> Datanet provide an ATM backbone service?
>
> George Clapp
> voice:  708-765-2360
> fax:    708-765-3350
> email:  clapp at ameris.ameritech.com

Do you know any happy customers?  No traffic equals no scaling
problems.  Right?

Did you see Tim's NANOG presentation?  Seems they are having enough
trouble getting ATM to work in a point to point configuration on a
real network (with delay).  Matches our NAP test findings as well.

Not that ATM is hopeless, just the equipment may not be quite ready
for 1994 deployment in a critical Internet exchange point carrying
lots of TCP wide area traffic.  I think that is still an open question
(deploy first, figure out if it will work later?).

Curtis