wiretapping continues....

Bilal Chinoy bac at serendip.sdsc.edu
Thu Oct 27 18:12:34 UTC 1994

There was no "quiet" admission and no "approval".

This is still very much an open question. However,
Sprint (atleast) will not sit by and do nothing.
We have created potential choke points in the Internet
architecture and it would be irresponsible of us (as
a community) to not do anything about it.

Given the fact that  ....

a) NAP operators need traffic numbers (preferably a
NSP-NSP matrix but atleast aggregate counts at
small time granularities) to ensure capacity keeps
ahead of demand

and

b) there is a *legitimate* concern about security of
data collection mechanisms and privacy, availability of
collected data,

The questions is "How can we serve both interests?"

I think one scalable solution is for NSPs, which
presumably collect data for their own requirements,
to report on traffic traversing NAPs. Compiling statistics
across all NSPs at a cross connect point could provide
us with an accurate picture of traffic levels.
NAP providers must be held responsible for ensuring that
data is protected, even from sister organizations (such as
Ameritech v/s AADS IP service, or Sprint v/s SprintLink etc.)

Of course, if you don't trust NAP providers themselves,
we have a slightly bigger problem :)-

ATM NAPs today will not allow a central collection point for
network layer stats (per PVC cell counts are presumably
available). The Sprint NAP will be similarly constrained
when we move to a central FDDI switch.

What is the right threshold between data collection and
privacy/security ?

			-- Bilal