innocent remark

Joachim Martillo martillo at penril.com
Tue May 10 04:16:59 UTC 1994

   From: bmanning at is.rice.edu (William Manning)
   Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 17:09:17 CDT

   >From another list...

   given that a BSD/386 or NetBSD system can be put together quite cheaply and
   does a fine job at handling PPP and SLIP and multiple ethernets, this seems
   like a fine alternative to dedicated routers like Cisco for T1/E1-speed
   internet gateways.  especially considering the power of GateD 3.5, and that
   a 16MB cisco can't handle a "full internet route table" while a 16MB i486
   machine can do it easily.

   Comments from the gated crowd?  The cisco crowd?

I would have to wonder about the forwarding performance of 16MB i486
BSD machine acting as a router.  Also I am not sure what a full
internet route table should be, but a well-architected 16MB turnkey
router should be able to support a route table of well over 100,000
routes.

   --
   Regards,
   Bill Manning

Joachim Martillo
Manager of Internetworking Research
Penril Datability Networks
Penril Datability Advanced Communications Research Center
190 N. Main St.
Natick, MA 01760
VOICE	508-653-5313
FAX	508-653-6415