CIDR deployment

Vince Fuller vaf at Valinor.Stanford.EDU
Fri Mar 18 22:23:21 UTC 1994

    If there is a way to achieve the same goal without having
    impact on the live network at this stage, why do that way?
    Eric-jan's approach accomplishes that.  By the way, Peter has
    a nice summary of the approach.

A live network is something which is very hard to simulate, as anyone who has
worked on new software or procedures for an operational network will probably
tell you.

I don't understand your objection - we have people who are willing, able, and
ready to cut some of their operational traffic over to using CIDR addressing.
This is with the full knowledge that there might be problems. Why not let them
do it? We will, of course, keep configurations in place to allow them and us
to back- out dependancies on CIDR on a moment's notice, in case things don't
work and we can't fix the CIDR infrastructure in a timely manner.

Like the commercial says: "Just Do It".

	--Vince