News about Ed Anselmo

Dan Long long at nic.near.net
Wed Mar 16 17:11:17 UTC 1994

Dear Friends and Customers of Ed Anselmo:

     It is with my deepest regret that I must inform you of Ed's death this
weekend while on a ski vacation in Colorado.

     Ed had arrived in Denver at noon on Saturday, had driven to Steamboat
Springs, and had hit the slopes around 2:00 with the wife of one of his several
friends who were attending a convention (of Doctors) there.  They skied until
4:00 and then he hooked up with his friends.  They were about to buy lift
tickets for the week of skiing they had planned when Ed realized he'd left his
credit card in the hotel room.  His friends waited at the ticket booth for him
to return and, after a long wait, called the hospital in desperation.  Ed *was*
at the hospital as he had collapsed in the parking lot of the hotel either on
his way to or from his room.  Prolonged efforts to resuscitate him were
unsuccesful.  Subsequent investigation indicated that his major arteries were
severely clogged and that the combination of altitude change and exertion were
enough to trigger the attack.

Ed joined the NEARNET project in August of 1992.  In the short time he was
here, he became friend and mentor to all.  Professionally, he was outstanding.
His services where sought after by customers and BBNers alike.  Socially, he
was just as outstanding.  He was never without a smile.  A pleasant word, a
funny story, and genuine concern for others were his trademark.  I know I can
speak for everyone who knew Ed that we will miss him immensely.  He was an
exceptional individual, co-worker, and friend.

     A copy of Ed's obituary is attached below.  A service in Belmont, MA where
Ed lived is planned in a few weeks.  Mail to anselmo=service at nic.near.net to be
put on the list to receive information about the time & place and to
anselmo=notes at nic.near.net if you have any remembrances you'd like to pass
along to Ed's family or to us here.

     The work that Ed was involved in for NEARNET and other BBN customers will
be reassigned to others in the team here.  Please contact me if you were in the
middle of anything with Ed that needs to be handled.

Sorry for the bad news,

Dan Long
Manager, Technical Services
NEARNET
BBN

Appearing today in the Ann Arbor News:

Anselmo, Edward G.
Belmont, MA
formerly of Lansing

Age 34, died March 12, 1994 in Steamboat Springs, CO.  Born April 25, 1959 in
Lansing.  Mr. Anselmo graduated from Lansing Eastern High School in 1977 where
he was a National Merit Scholar.  He was a graduate of U. of Michigan in Ann
Arbor and was a Systems Analyst at U. of M. Medical Center and later at Yale
University.  He was employed with BBN Systems and Technologies, Cambridge, MA
as a Senior Network Analyst.  His hobbies include skiing, biking and tennis.

Surviving are his parents, Ricardo and Fe Anselmo of Lansing; 3 sisters,
Feliccia (Tim) Ryan of Royal Oak, Patricia (Greg) Sovitch of Canton, MI and
Stella (Mike) Boldrick of Toledo, OH; beloved nephew and God Son, Nathan
Edward Sovitch of Canton; many aunts, uncles and cousins.

The Funeral Mass will be celebrated Saturday, March 19, 10:00AM at the Church
of the Resurrection, 1531 E. Michigan Ave., Lansing with The Reverands William
Koenigsknect and Francis Martin, officiating.  Interment will follow in St.
Joseph Catholic Cemetery.

Friends may call at the Gorsline-Runciman Co. East Chapel, 1730 East Grand
River, East Lansing, MI 48823 where the family will receive friends Thursday
and Friday from 3-5 and 7-9PM.  A Vigil Service will be prayed both Thursday
and Friday at 7PM.  Those desiring may make contributions to the American Heart
Foundation or to the National Wildlife Federation in memory of Mr. Anselmo.
[These may be sent to Gorsline-Runciman for forwarding to these organizations,
if you like.]