!! (fwd)

Elise Gerich epg
Mon Jan 31 06:49:33 UTC 1994

Hans-Werner,

>1.  I am forced to assume that CIX membership does not connect me to
>the NSF backbone therefore I am missing half of the Internet!  If
>this is true, how do I connect to the other half?

CIX membership provides exactly that; connectivity to CIX members.
ANS is a CIX member but the CIX rules (as they have been explained
to me) prohibit one service provider from acting as transit between
the CIX membership and other service providers (non-CIX members).
So if NSFNET regionals are not CIX members, the CIX filters traffic
with those non-members.

The only solution is to talk to service providers which will redistribute
the NSFNET routes and try to make a deal (if your customers agree to
only send traffic which is AUP compliant to the NSFNET service.)

>2.  With CIDR and Number aggregation, we are expected to provide our
>customer networks a number range from our larger range.  However, we
>cannot get a number range from INTERNIC.  They expect us to get ours
>from "our supplier".  Is this CIX?  Or do you have to contract with a
>"supplier" who has NSF Backbone connections to get a IP number range?
> I guess I thought that we would be a supplier!

It was my understanding that you have to define yourself as a supplier
and let the Internic know your status.

> What am I missing?
>Dave Nordlund               nordlund at ukanvm.cc.ukans.edu
>University of Kansas        913/864-0450
>Computing Services          FAX 913/864-0485
>Lawrence, KS  66045

I am not on the com-priv list but perhaps someone on the regional-techs
list has more information concerning these questions.
     --Elise