!! (fwd)

Scott Williamson scottw at internic.net
Sun Jan 30 22:57:41 UTC 1994

> So whats the problem here?
>
> My son, David, decides to become an internet service provider and
> thinks he can get 1.5 million subscribers. (or pick a more reasonable
> number.... but you must pick a number)  The Internic, be reasonable,
> tells him to talk to those already in the biz, that already have blocks
> allocated in the areas David wishes to service.
>
> Should he complain?

I have asked the question many time.  "What is a provider?".  Once the
CIDR allocation started the "Providers" came out of the woodworks.
No one so far has given an answer to the question that the majority can
agree with. I will not be at the regional tech meeting in CA but Mark will.
I don't know a group better suited to answer the question that established
providers. Do us a favor and come up with a proposed answer to "What is a
provider".  I will work with NSF and Postel to make it policy. This would
make our life easier.

> (I am tempted to re-raise my questions from AA and earlier. Just how do
> we profile a provider?  As opposed to simply a number hoarder?  I tried
> this before and did not get much response. Perhaps its time to dust off
> the old notes and try & deal w/ this in a published form.)
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Bill Manning

Scott