!! (fwd)

Hans-Werner Braun hwb at upeksa.sdsc.edu
Sun Jan 30 22:14:01 UTC 1994

Forwarded message:
>From daemon  Sun Jan 30 13:43:45 1994
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 1994 15:38:40 CST-600
From: Dave Nordlund <NORDLUND at ccstaff.cc.ukans.edu>
Subject: Confusion
To: com-priv at psi.com

Folks
I am working with a company to form a network to resell Internet
access.  Years of experience with the existing NSF based Internet
does not prepare me for the present confusion  I see in the
commercial Internet world.

1.  I am forced to assume that CIX membership does not connect me to
the NSF backbone therefore I am missing half of the Internet!  If
this is true, how do I connect to the other half?

2.  With CIDR and Number aggregation, we are expected to provide our
customer networks a number range from our larger range.  However, we
cannot get a number range from INTERNIC.  They expect us to get ours
from "our supplier".  Is this CIX?  Or do you have to contract with a
"supplier" who has NSF Backbone connections to get a IP number range?
 I guess I thought that we would be a supplier!

 What am I missing?
Dave Nordlund               nordlund at ukanvm.cc.ukans.edu
University of Kansas        913/864-0450
Computing Services          FAX 913/864-0485
Lawrence, KS  66045