Announcing Referral Whois (RWhois)
markk at internic.net
Fri Feb 4 19:21:42 UTC 1994
Scott and I have been working on trying to solve the whois problem involving
the network entites that we register and delegate to others. Our data is
heirarchical in nature and can be easily "referred" to other sites for the
particular record or additional information.
We have created a referral server and client (aka RWhois) to show this concept
and to get your comments on whether we should continue carrying on with this
idea. An alpha release of the RWhois client and server is available via
anonymous ftp from rs.internic.net as /pub/rwhois/rwhois-B0.1.tar.Z. It
contains the source for the rwhois server; the rwhois client; a partial,
edited copy of the freeWAIS-0.1 distribution; and an example data directory
that you can bring up the rwhois server quickly.
Both the client and server are in the Alpha stages and things will be
changing as we continue to develop this idea (some are listed below). If you
are interested and/or want to get announcements for the latest and greatest
versions, please join the rwhois at internic.net mailing list. To join,
send a request to:
rwhois-request at internic.net.
If you experience any bugs, send a note to the RWhois development team:
rwhois-bugs at internic.net
Things that will be added/changed in releases in the very near future:
Additional client-to-server commands:
- soa (gives soa and update information and where to send templates)
- badref (bad reference)
- recurref (recursive reference found)
- holdconnect (hold connection for interactive queries)
Additional client options:
- use of client-to-server commands
- better handling of server-to-client commands
- Currently the configuration defaults to slam.internic.net port 3636 on
your particular queries. THIS WILL CHANGE to rs.internic.net port 4343
with the full-blown database (I want my IPC back!).
- The data is a SUBSET of the actual whois data. Do a -xfer to
see what data is in each RWhois server to test (a set is also in
the RWhois draft rs.internic.net:/pub/rwhois/draft-rwhois-00.txt.)
- To see examples of how RWhois works, look at the EXAMPLES file
Addititional Documentation Coming:
- RWhois protocol specification
- RWhois client documentation
- RWhois server documentation
Also in the archive, we have a set of examples along with explanations
of what is happening in /pub/rwhois/EXAMPLES.
We hope you will examine and experiment with RWhois. Please send your comments
to rwhois at internic.net. We would like to hear from you!
Thanks for your time,
More information about the NANOG