!! (fwd)

Scott Williamson scottw at internic.net
Wed Feb 2 16:06:04 UTC 1994

Richard,

  I agree that we must be careful.  However, we must setup guidlines that
  have a technical basis. If we are to achive efficent CIDRization of the
  address space then we can not give  CIDR  blocks to anyone who says
  they are a provider. I don't think that we have ever denined anyone
  address space. The complaint from Kansas was a person that requested
  space for Kansas's network and was given a block of 512 through MIDNET.
  MIDNET was the provider at the higher level. Now he wants to be a provider
  for himself connected to ???.  I understand that the look of what is
  currently the NSFnet will change. What if tommorow I want to become a
  provider and request MY block of 256.  I think we must ask the questions
  and make a smart allocation. Souldn't the provider to which he will
  connect be involved in the allocation? I understand that anyone should
  be able to switch providers at any level. I would assume that the block
  could go with them.

Scott