February Meeting

Tim Salo tjs at msc.edu
Thu Dec 15 07:17:36 UTC 1994

> Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 01:27:52 -0500
> From: Elise Gerich <epg at merit.edu>
> To: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: February Meeting
> Cc: epg at merit.edu, pam at merit.edu
>
> At the last NANOG meeting in Ann Arbor, we decided to have a winter
> meeting in Boulder, CO.  NCAR kindly offered to host the meeting
> and plans were finalized to have the meeting on Thursday and Friday,
> February 9 and 10, 1995.
>
> ISOC has proposed to host a Operations Conference in February (21-22)
> in San Diego, CA.  The Description and Objectives of the
> conference are:
> 	[...]
> ISOC has offered to provide meeting rooms for the winter
> NANOG meeting if we would like to hold the NANOG meeting
> on the Monday preceeding the Conference.
> 	[...]

Without having seen an agenda for either conference, it appears to me
that these two conferences are likely to have similar missions,
prospective attendees, and agenda.

It is not clear to me that two such [apparently] similar conferences
can both thrive; one may die, or worse, both may wither as people
choose one forum or the other.  In particular, it may be hard to
justify the travel time and expense to attend both conferences.

I recommend that either:

o	The two conferences be collocated (in time and space) and
	coordinate their agendas;

o	The conference organizers clearly articulate how the two
	conferences differ and why attendance at both would be useful.

The February meetings seem like a good time to start.

By the way, does either conference have agenda yet?

-tjs