20402 routing entries

Hans-Werner Braun hwb at upeksa.sdsc.edu
Fri Apr 15 15:52:48 UTC 1994

Elise:

>If you refer to the list of the top ten ASs, you can see that large
>gains can be attained without being heavy handed. If the top 10,
>several of which are BGP4 capable, cidrize the savings would be
>substantial.

Probably true. While Peter L.'s comment is of course stretching it way
too much in terms of "where's a whip there is a way," I believe that in
the interest of the survival of the network, having to hurt people's
feelings may be the lesser evil. As such, there should be a rather
strong encouragement towards making progress here. Also, I believe it
would be good for someone to take a very strong lead on renumbering ("I
want my net 35 back; I fought so hard with Jon for it! It's MINE!").
Are you and/or Jon as the RAs taking the lead there? What is your
implementation plan? If you don't have one, what are your current
projections of when and how things will become critical? What is your
model to define criticality?

Hans-Werner