classless nets and home ASs

epg at merit.edu epg at merit.edu
Mon Apr 25 17:06:10 UTC 1994

Andrew,

> (& all of the ASs behind them) have withdrawn more specific routes.  If
> you could identify the home-ASs of the withdrawn nets, that would
> probably be more helpful & more accurate.
> 	--asp at uunet.uu.net (Andrew Partan)

During this tranisition from the classful world to the classless,
home ASs still have meaning.  It does not seem clear that home ASs
will be relevant when we treat all routes as classless entities,
because most assignments can be further subdivided. There will be
no base unit such as class A, B or C on which to hang the home AS
tag. We may want to move from "one net/one home AS" to "prefix and length/
announcing AS" - since an AS downstream or upstream may aggregate
a subset or superset.

I'm not commenting directly on your suggestion on how to express
meaningful information about the specific nets that AS 701 has
withdrawn from its announcment to AS 690, but trying to explore
how we should look at keeping information about classless entities.
These lists (regional-techs and bgpd) seem like the right place to
discuss what information the operators need in a classless routing
world.
              --Elise