20402 routing entries

yakov at watson.ibm.com yakov at watson.ibm.com
Fri Apr 15 15:03:38 UTC 1994

Ref:  Your note of Fri, 15 Apr 1994 10:52:00 -0400

Henry,

>This assumes alot, including customers that don't switch providers
>and inject more specific routes (this is happening already).

No, I assumed that most (but NOT all) of the customers who switch
providers would renumber. I can further weaken this assumption
by allowing aggregation above the immediate provider level
(you can do this with CIDR).

>You're also assuming that we have a mechanism for aggregating
>routes for folks who choose not to (or can't, for some reason).

That is not so far-fetched assumption. Proxy aggregation is
likely to happen, whether some folks like it or not.

>CIDR only buys us a *little* time..

Remember there is "CIDR movie", but there is also "CIDR book".
You need to consider both...

Yakov.