20402 routing entries

yakov at watson.ibm.com yakov at watson.ibm.com
Fri Apr 15 13:57:42 UTC 1994

Ref:  Your note of Thu, 14 Apr 94 19:39:42 EDT

Elise,

>Yes, we have again started trying to get folks to move to BGP4 -- heck
>we are still trying to get some folks to move to BGP.

Trying to get folks to move to BGP4 is a good thing to do and it
should be encouraged, but given the time constraints this is unlikely
to be a feasible solution to the problem in the near future.

>The results are slow in coming...

It seems that some folks PERSISENTLY missed the point. The clock is
ticking. The only way to slow down the clock is by reducing the volume
of routing information (via CIDR). Nothing else is going to stop or
slow down the clock. The clock cares less whether "the results are slow
in coming" or why they are "slow in coming". And, by the way, when the
clock handle hits the mark there is going to be a massive crash.

Forgive me my bluntness, but given where we are today I just don't see
any feasible alternatives to a medium-large scale proxy aggregation
within a next month or so.

So, given the finite amount of human resources we have, let me suggest
that the CIDR efforts should be strongly focused on the following two
FEASIBLE choices:

(a) make sites who have BGP-4 TODAY to withdraw individual components asap

(b) make sites who don't have BGP-4 TODAY to arrange proxy aggregation
	by their providers (who assumed to have BGP-4) asap (or
	the providers will arrange it for them).

Yakov.