Regional-Techs Meeting Agenda (draft)

mak mak
Fri Sep 24 15:38:16 UTC 1993

Hi. Here is a proposed agenda for the October 4-5 meeting.
Your comments are welcome.
	Mark

Merit/NSFNET Regional-Techs Meeting
October 4-5, 1993
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Preliminary Agenda (draft 0.4)

I.Status of CIDR Deployment

This session will focus on the components of work left to do
in order to deploy CIDR. Some of the following are presentations
with question/answer sessions and others are brief reports.

	A. ANS GateD support (Serpil Bayraktar or Steve Richardson)

	B. Merit PRDB support (Andy Adams / Dale Johnson)

        C. Router vendor support (invited vendors?)

	D. Interoperability testing (ANS,vendors)

	E. CIDR Analysis (Jessica Yu)
		This topic is a followup of discussion at the last
		IETF, to look at how effective we think CIDR will be
		in conserving address space and making IPv4 last longer
		as a viable protocol. We will attempt to gather ideas
		from anyone who has done such analysis and present them
		at this session for discussion.

II. Registry Information Sharing

	A. Shared Whois Project (SWIP) Plan (Mark Knopper /
		Enke Chen / Laurent Joncheray)
		This project has been underway for a while, but after
		a lot of discussion we now have a project plan which
		is nearing agreement between RIPE, InterNIC and Merit.
		The plan essentially specifies that the registries
		"synchronize" their data such that all information
		related to the same network object is the same,
		following a timeline of next April for synchronization.
		We'd like to hear the comments of other networks
		before we finalize the plan and publicize it further.
		Our document will be sent to the regional-techs list
		before the meeting.

	B. Registration issues for network providers (Mark?)
		This will follow up on our discussion from the June
		meeting too see if there are further thoughts on how
		to handle provider/customer ownership, and register
		CIDR "holes".

III. NSFNET/NREN Solicitation Status (Peter Ford?)
	Discussion of the solicitation and what we know
	about the transition to the new environment.

IV. Report from RIPE Meeting (Elise Gerich)
	Elise will give a report on the recent RIPE meeting
	in Amsterdam.

V. Future of Regional-Techs Group (Mark Knopper/Peter Ford?/
		Andrew Partan?)
	Though this forum is primarily to discuss NSFNET-related
	matters, it has also served well as a general discussion
	forum for US Internet network providers. It is clear that
	this function should preserved and even broadened, though
	Merit's management with NSFNET will eventually draw to
	a close (see session III above). This session will focus
	on several ideas that have been proposed on how to
	keep the Regional-Techs forum alive in some form to
	continue discussion and cooperation among providers.

VI. CLNP Registration (Sue Hares)
	RIPE has been working on registration of NSAP addresses.
	Sue will give a status report of this activity.

VII. ANS Backbone Update (Jordan Becker?)
	Jordan will give a status report on current status and
	planned changes on the ANS backbone.