CIDR question

Mark Knopper mak
Thu Jul 29 03:52:14 UTC 1993

Milo,
  Since you raised the point about the Fuzzballs, I would also
like to point out that the Merit PDP-11 operating system has
had CIDR routing capabilities since 1985 or so. Obviously
the wave of the future.
  On a more substantial note, one issue that was raised at
the IETF concerned the idea of subnetting with CIDR (as opposed
to supernetting). When do you think that the NIC(s) will be able
to hand out pieces of what we now think of as class A nets,
for example? My thought is that not only will a very large portion
of the Internet need to be CIDR-ized before this happens, but
several routers will need to have significant changes to the way
forwarding works. Does anyone agree with this?
	Mark