NACR version 7.0

Enke Chen enke
Wed Jul 28 18:01:59 UTC 1993

Hi, Piet:
I wrote that portion and I should have it clearer.
Sorry for causing the confusion. Some clarifications
are inserted.

> Date:    Wed, 28 Jul 1993 19:27:57 +0200
> From:    Piet.Beertema at mcsun.EU.net
> To:      "Mark Knopper" <mak at merit.edu>
> CC:      regional-techs at merit.edu

>     (1) Class C Block Submission:
>
>     It is allowed to submit a block of consecutive Class C addresses
>     in a NACR.
> What about Class B blocks, unlikely though such
> an event may be?

This feature is not very useful for Class B as very few
sites own blocks of Class B. It is not allowed to avoid
confusion and to make it easier to detect typos.

>     netnum:         198.4.65 - 198.4.79
> What would be allowed and not allowed here?
> For example:
>   netnum:         198.4.65.0 - 198.4.79.0
> should be perfectly valid, given that trailing
> zero part may be stripped off. But are:
>   netnum:         198.4.65-198.4.79
>   netnum:         198.4.65.0-198.4.79.0
> valid too

All of the above are allowed. The rule is that:

	o The "firstip" and "lastip" should be separated by
     	  a "-" (plus zero or more white spaces).
	o The trailing 0 (last octet) for the "firstip" or
	  "lastip" are optional.
	o Also, the first two octets of "firstip" and "lastip"
	  have to be identical.

> Also note that your example is a trivial one.
> I assume/hope you can cope with "overflows":
>   netnum:         198.4.90-198.5.10
> too?

Yes, such NACR's will be rejected by the parser.

> 	Piet

-- Enke Chen
   Merit/NSFNET