Question on the registration of addresses from an assigned block

John Curran jcurran at nic.near.net
Wed Jul 28 15:16:24 UTC 1993

--------
] From: Thomas Easterday <tom at cic.net>
] Subject: Question on the registration of addresses from an assigned block
] Date: Wed, 28 Jul 93 11:08:18 -0400
]
] CICNet has several blocks of address from which we assign numbers.
]
] Some of the sites to whom we have assigned numbers have requested
] that the NIC register their DNS machines for inverse mapping of
] the addresses.  The NIC recently sent the message below to one of those
] sites.
]
] My question is: Are other providers that have blocks they are assigning
] 		addresses out of removing those address from their own blocks
] 		(in the words of the NIC)?  In other words, is everyone sending
] 		to the NIC the information for the site that gets a specific
] 		address?  If the addresses are taken out of the block and
] 		assigned to the site, then it pretty much makes a moot point
] 		of the arguements about taking back address if a customer moves
] 		to another provider.

We do assign the addresses to the customer.  We have not been telling
customers that they _must_ give back the addresses if they change provider,
since that would be an unusual burden to transition.  We do tell customers
to get their networks from the same location to insure that they can be
aggregated.

/John