Terminal server (NAS) experiences?

Paul Holbrook holbrook at cic.net
Fri Dec 10 18:57:26 UTC 1993

We're trying to agree on a Network Access Server (NAS, what we all used to
call terminal servers) for our NSF-sponsored Rural Datafication Project,
which involves working in parnership with state nets in our region to
expand dialup infrastructure in CICNet region of the country.  We'd like
to get some feedback from folks in other regions.

We've come down to considering the Livingston Portmaster, the Xyplex
MX-1600, and to a lesser extent, the Cisco CS-500 series.  Right now we're
not considering any other vendors; we're trying to stay with gear that
people in the state nets involved in the project have used.

The Cisco CS-500 series doesn't match up in terms of hardware and
software features, but we've left it on the list because of the installed
base.  We'll drop it from the list unless we can find out what Cisco's
plans are in that area.

The Xyplex and the Livingston seem pretty close in terms of features on
paper.

If anyone is using either of these, can you give us any comments?  How
have they worked in day-to-day use?  How responsive is the vendor?  Do
the features work as advertised?  Would you buy them again?

I'm not looking for anything formal or in-depth here; if you'd like to
respond privately to me, I can keep your responses private and off the
list if you'd like.  Also, please restrict your comments to the vendors
listed above.  There are certainly other vendors out there, but we're
trying to avoid a full-blown evaluation of all possible products.

I'm particularly interested in learning more about the Xyplex.  I know a
number of folks who are using the Livingston, but I know less about the
Xyplex.

Also, if anyone has seen anything in the trade literature about either of
these product lines, I'd appreciate any references you can give us.

J. Paul Holbrook
CICNet Network Services Manager
holbrook at cic.net    (313) 998-7680