ANS to CIX Interconnection

mak mak
Wed Sep 30 19:11:55 UTC 1992

> From:    rick at uunet.uu.net (Rick Adams)
> To:      mak at merit.edu, regional-techs at merit.edu
>
> > 	One of the new networks originates in the former Soviet Union,
> > and traffic between US Government sponsored networks and the former
> > Soviet Union is prohibited at this time.  Therefore accordingly, the
> > ANSNET will not re-distribute or announce any routes to this network.
>
> Well, the obvious question is what does this have to do with anything?
> The whole point of the CIX is to not have to screw around with
> outdated government policy.

Rick,
  It is our understanding that Merit and ANS are prohibited from
allowing any traffic to flow between the US and networks in the
xSU. This is the law, not a policy however outdated. This is
an unfortunate situation in my view, because a number of regionals
have expressed interested in communicating with people and
systems in Russia and other xSU countries. But until we hear
that laws or their interpretation have been changed we will
not be passing any traffic to or from this network.

> So, either ANS CO+RE isn't REALLY the commericial separate entity it
> claims to be or the above statement makes no sense and should be retracted.
>
> Which is it?
>
> ---rick

Again the xSU network announcement will not be passed to ANS CO+RE
customers either so I guess this doesn't have to do with anything
either....

	Mark